Although Utah is a seemingly conservative state, there are still some benefits available to mothers, whether single or married. It is important mothers seek legal representation from a qualified Salt Lake City mother rights attorney with experience on important family law matters such as child custody, child visitation, child support, and so on. An experienced family law attorney can help you make an informed decision and seek the fair enforcement of your legal rights.
Courts no longer favor mothers as they used to
While it is true mothers have been highly favored by the court system, there has been a recent shift in recent years. Now, fathers are also favored in child custody disputes. The courts take a look at both parents’ circumstances and determine whether they are equipped to raise the child. Joint custody also comes into play as it keeps the father equally involved in the child’s life. This approach can save the family, even when parents decide to file for divorce. So mothers must show that they are the most capable parent with the help of an experienced Salt Lake City mother rights attorney otherwise they may not be able to claim their rights.
Establishing paternity is a necessity
If you are a single mom, you probably wish to collect child support so your children can have a decent life. But in order to do so, you must first file a court petition. Then, you can determine who is the biological father through a simple blood test. As long as you have sufficient prove that he is the father, you can request child support and the court should grant it. This is the best approach to establishing paternity otherwise there is no legal proof of paternity or a way to enforce child support when needed.
We can help you with
· Child custody – Some mothers in Utah wish to have the primary custody of their children. This can be a difficult process but not impossible. We can help you devise the best strategy for your specific circumstances and help you achieve the desired outcome.
· Child support – Child support in Utah is basically based on where the child stays the most. Some fathers in Utah seek more visitations so that they don’t have to provide as much child support.
· Property division – This is still a very contentious aspect in most divorce cases. Property division includes asset as well as debts. This is why it is important you hire an experienced Salt Lake City family law attorney to help you protect your financial interests.
· Spousal support – Mothers in Utah are entitled to different types of alimony, depending on the circumstances surrounding the divorce case. However, in most cases, alimony is not paid longer than the length of a marriage.
· Domestic violence – If you and your children are exposed to this type of abuse, you can seek a protective order to keep your soon-to-be former spouse away. Violation of a protective order can have serious legal repercussions.
If you need legal assistance with any of these family law areas, give us a call today!